MS Help 3 Viewer by The Helpware Group
. Replace the VS 2010 help viewer or run stand-alone. Download and try it out (see attachments section below). The viewer is free for personal use. Contact us if you need to distribute it.
- VS 2010 help in a traditional help viewer (similar to VS DExplore) with full TOC and Index.
- Multiple document tabs. Ctrl+click to open links in new tabs. Shift+click for new window.
- The embedded topic navigation (LoBand experience) can be removed (See Ctrl+Shift+T command main menu). We use simple Browser DOM calls to hide the DIV section
- Debug window displays URLs of all API calls made (so you can learn from it).
- TTS (Text to Speech) reader (F9).
- Set as default VS 2010 help Viewer.
About the project
Using Help 3 API calls it's very easy to access help data and build traditional help navigation. The new H3 API is IMHO the best Help API MS have ever released. Fast and simple to use. The technique is simple - Use a http://127.0.0.1/ type API call to ask the help engine for data. I used basic WinINet HTTP calls to receive the returned XML data into a string and parsed out the data. Open the H3Viewer debug window to see which http://127.0.0.1 API calls were used.
Current Version: 13-Mar-2013, 1.20 Build 116 - See Change Notes
Current Translations: English, Brazilian Portuguese, Czech, Danish, German, Hebrew, Italian,
Japanese, Polish, Simplified Chinese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish.
Beta build. Try new features or translations. Grab the Beta from the end of this page.
- When F1 is pressed in VS 2010, if the URL we receive has an &LCID= parameter but no &Locale= we now append the equivalent &locale= to the end of the URL. -- See change notes
This application is free to download and use for personal use.
To distribute this software please Contact Helpware
When distributing our software please add the following copyright notice to your application About Box or with your other copyright notices:
<Your-Product-Name> includes H3Viewer by Helpware, distributed with permission.
© Copyright 2009-2011 Robert Chandler, www.helpware.net. All rights reserved.
BTW telling us our software sucks because it has no filtering wont help anyone. This is feature still lacking in the Microsoft Help API and is beyond our control. This kind of feedback should be directed towards Microsoft via http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio
Public discussion groups:
Here you will find not only peer-to-peer help, but participation from both the Helpware and MS Help teams.